Healthy Shit You Can Make: Bone Broth
Much like man buns, earthenware and every font on this website, bone broth seems to be having a moment. I’d never heard of it until I took a nutrition class from this lady and the very first thing we learned was that we should all be hoovering marrow on the regs. Why? Because properly-sourced B-broth has a fuck-ton of vitamins and minerals that help digestion, boost the immune system, fight inflammation, and promote healthy bones, skin, hair and nails. And since all you really need to make it is a bag of bones and some water, it’s pretty accessible. The Internet is full of recipes, but this is the one I’ve used. Below is the abridged version:
HSYCM: Bone Broth
1. Procure 2 lbs of bones from your grass-fed/ pastured/ wild-caught animal of choice.
2. If raw, roast bones for 30 min @ 350.
3. Put bones in a bigass pot with cold filtered water and 2 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar. Let this ill for 30 min.
4. Add chopped organic (!!) veggies (onion, celery, carrot) and salt. Bring to a boil. Then let it sim sim simmmmmma.
5. Simmer overnight or longer. You can also use a crock pot if you’re scared of burning your house down.
6. Once it’s done simmering, discard everything but the liquid and start MAINLINING IMMEDIATELY.
JK, don’t. DO refrigerate in glass (to avoid BPA cooties duh) for up to 4 days. After that, you can freeze in ice cube trays and reheat (microwave and you are dead to me) as needed. Pro tip: B-broth is great for hangovers and it’s the jam when you’re sick. SO PUT IT INSIDE YOU TODAY.
Also, depending on where you live and how lazy you are, you can just buy B-broth from a quality butcher. I prefer this method since one time I almost burned my friend Cerra’s house down trying to cure her hangover and that sort of put a strain on our friendship. So you know, also be careful with the stove.